This is very deep, maybe cause I were hoping the story to be different. I have to watch it twice to really understand what Yasmin Ahmad tried to deliver.
This short movie shows a true mind set of Chinese society in Malaysia ( I know, not all :p) It shows how Chinese has to work really hard in order to be successful. I remembered once, when I had this conversation with Zilah and Del ;
Del : I told her that she is third class Malay and I'm a first class Indian
Zilah + Fitto : *wink* why..?
Well, Del told us that it is hard for other races to get into University. They have to go true STPM and so on. University Malaya is said to be the best University in Malaysia. Therefore to be able to get in this premier university make them to be the first class Indian after all the hardship they have to go trough. Compared to Malay, we get into the University easily (matriculation is not as hard as STPM and Del told us about soalan bocor in the surau which I never knew bout that; I didn't go to matric) , so the Matriculation Malay, is the 3rd class Malay. hoho! [well it depends, I guess]
This movie shows how parents really play important role in building their children mindset. His mother wants him to go to another country as she feels that he will be able to get a scholarship there where as he will not have a future in his own country because of his race. Somehow he refused.
Then came this Malay girl whose smile took to him. She wanted to buy the chocolate but was 5cents short. The boy is willing to give sell that for 15cents. However when his mother shouted at him for talking to the Malay girl, he changed his decision ( maybe due to the existence of social inequality). With all the hatred, he refused to give the chocolate to the Malay girl. The Malay girl left the shop with the batteries.
Instead of possible beautiful friendships, we remains divided by races due to the policies, family, prejudice and so on which cause us to act discriminately to another. Life goes on, it is easy to say " I'm not racist" but sometimes we didn't realize we are acting like that.
p.s : learn to celebrate the differences among each other. Everyone is special.
p.s.s: let us start it with our generation. For a better Malaysia!
P.s.s.s : are u willing to give up 5 cent for something more meaningful?

2 comments:
Malai po~~! dah lama tak dengar org cina panggiL ni (",). maksudnya bukan malay gaL k...
Hmmm...masa akak sekolah kat keLantan, tak la rasa sangat ada gap antara bangsa. ok jer... tapi dah masuk kL, benda ni mcm too obvious.
-sYud-
change is a long process, and im an impatient person...
and they say that change begins with ourselves, dan akan slowly org laen akan turut sama
tapi hakikatnya org yg menyedari bukannye ramai, dan penduduk Malaysia bukannya sikit
...cis, realizing this fact is really demotivating~
kapankah daku bisa melihat tanah airku yg laen?
Post a Comment